Wednesday, 3 October 2012

My Cup Is Getting Full

There are times when I get frustrated and today is one of those days when I want to do something but it feels like I can't. I want you to note the word feels because it doesn't mean the same thing as the plain I can't.

It is in my nature to make sure my spouse isn't ignored and well looked after. This is one of the most difficult challenges a woman faces today if I may be so bold as to state the complexities of a woman in the workforce and being in a relationship with or without children. We want to do something yet it feels like there's a ton of bricks preventing us from taking action.

I admittedly have another problem which is connected to professionalism and the phone line. If you read my book then you'll know it's because it is difficult for me to place calls.

I also have the fear of not being given the time of day by media programs. I will let you in on that secret. Back in 2006 I took a telephone seminar about how to get on TV and basically put it's all about your topics. I write about Bipolar Disorder and I have written a series unlike any facebook page that I've seen about kids who go hunting, fishing. I was unmedicated, a very typically behavioured bipolar disordered person and I emailed the TV talk shows back then 3 times trying to get them to give me the time of day but they never did. My list is as follows: Oprah, Ellen, Tyra Banks Show, Montel Williams Show, and a Dr. Keith show if I remember correctly. It was long ago but it has left a fear that runs deep.

Today it's the year 2012 and my books are now traditionally published and it's Mental Illness Awareness Month to boot. In my mind I am screaming inside to be let loose of my role and to ignore as much as possible as my doggedly determined self has to self promote with a fear that runs deep but I can't due to feelings. The interior screaming is also related to that I can empty my cup but when it fills up again it's louder than before. Last month hubby was supposed to go hunting by himself for three weeks but went on two seperate occasions for three days each time. I was ready, beyond measure to hit the ground running without hubby around without him getting jealous of the internet. Yes my hubby is jealous because he feels I spend too much time on Facebook when he's home. I have to promote my books, let people know I'm here. This is one of my jobs.

I'm grateful that it is Thursday because I have only 4 more sleeps until hubby works 5am to 3:30ish pm for 2 weeks and I can do my job although in my experience I have found that if someone represents you that you have a better chance of being given the time of day. I'm not that lucky as much as inside me I'm jumping up and down yelling at the top of my lungs saying, "I'm not self published, I'm traditionally published and representation would be the key to book sales don't you think?"

I really don't mean to offend the enormous amount of talented self published authors out there and how you have to work so much harder with the perception that indie authors have received.  I have to work hard too and I am trying to get there, only 4 more sleeps.

Inside of me I ask, "Anyone want to pretend to be a promotional manager? I'd give you a percentage but I only make 30% being traditionally published." I'm not saying it aloud as I want to break these 12 inch thick chains that are attached a four foot deep cement pad. If I could only turn green lol just kidding. :D

It'll be Tuesday soon. TGIT (Thank goodness for Tuesday :D )

No comments:

Post a Comment