Tuesday, 21 February 2012
I'm Walking Away Happy
I have decided not to continue on with Dorrance Publishing for The Outdoor Adventures of Charlie and Kaylee series Footprints because I'm unsatisfied with the level of service provided. Do not worry, the book will still come out but this course of action offers several opportunities such as recreating illustrations that I'm not overly fond of. I'd like to do a new cover as well.
There are many advantages from making this decision. It wasn't an easy one because the last time I talked about wanting to stop using their services they wouldn't refund my money. They said that it could be turned into a POD for $900 but they wouldn't refund my all of my money.
I called my credit card company as I was recommended to by a fellow author and learned that if you're using a credit card and making payments that you can only dispute the last 60 days.
The publishing company will never give you a full refund because they have provided some services. The credit card company will not go after them because the publishing company did provide service. It doesn't matter if they did a good job or not it is the simple fact that they did provide a service.
I was angry with Dorrance for the lack of professionalism. They proudly display 90 years of being in business. I explored my options and let it sit on a back burner while I thought about things. Unfortunately, I just can't be angry with the whole situation as other might be.
Why can't I find anger out of this whole situation? If I hadn't chose Dorrance then I wouldn't be on Facebook, and I wouldn't be on Twitter, and I wouldn't have I Am Normal.. If You're Bipolar as an Ebook out, I wouldn't have turned my total lack of confidence in my illustrating ability into a semi-amateur status.
The best course of action to take with Dorrance is ask that their services in money be taken off my "deposited balance" and credit the rest back to me onto my credit card. I will request a cancellation reference number and a cancellation letter to be sent to me. They then will have 30 days to credit my card or my credit card company will go after them.
My reasons for discontinuing service are that they didn't provide a level of editing that they should have. There shouldn't be any errors on the 1st proof sent, and there shouldn't be more errors on the 2nd proof. (I was trying to happy with their services at that moment but wasn't), and they don't pay attention to what they're supposed to be doing when it comes to illustration insertion.
I researched them, don't think I didn't because I did and most of the complaints were that people couldn't pay anymore so Dorrance stop the book production. Rightly so. I didn't see anything about the level of service provided.
Great things have come from trying to use their publishing company. Maybe I can find someone to do my illustrating for me based on the illustrations I've done. Personally, I've wanted a professional to be the illustrator but it wasn't a consideration due to lack of monthly income. I'd have some advertising money to do some advertising for I Am Normal... If You're Bipolar Ebook or maybe I'll turn them into PODs so everyone can buy a book.
Endless options as I walk away happy. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment